Hi everyone, I’m Colby, also known as @theauthenticstitch on Instagram.
I’ve been sewing since I was child, but I’ve only been quilting since mid 2015.
What shade am I? Simply put, I’m every shade. I love colour, and I’m in my element when I’m playing and creating with it. I’ve found that quilting has been a perfect way to combine both my background in Visual Arts and my sewing passion. I haven’t been drawn to solids previously, I love my prints, so I was so excited to create something that made the solids really shine. I knew as soon as I was approached by RJR that I was going to create something of my own design and that it would be using bias appliqué… on steroids. You may have seen my baskets previously, but they have nothing on this quilt! Then the colour card arrived and I was in heaven. All the possibilities, all those delicious colours.
In the end the Cotton Supreme Solid colors I chose for my quilt top are:
BEACH CORAL 355
GRAY STONE 155
PINK ORCHID 331
PURPLE HAZE 279
TURKS & CAICOS 292
And I couldn’t resist to add some cotton + steel prints:
C&S – RAINDROP, PRECIPITATION PISTACHIO 1939-02
C&S – BASICS , SPRINKLE STARDUST 5023-08
I sketched my original mandala on paper, and then adapted the design so my bias binding applique would work on it. When it was time to transfer the design across into the fabric medium, I upscaled the pattern and sectioned it into 6ths so I could just repeat the 1 section as it was rotated around. I transferred the design onto the fabric using a water soluble maker so I could easily remove any markings once they were no longer required.
I had already planned my colour layout out in the original design process, so it was just a matter of transferring my pattern pieces onto the fabric and fusing to make the raw edge appliqué pieces. Once the pieces were all cut they were then pressed onto the quilt top background in the proper place!
Making the 1/4″ bias strips was made a lot easier with my bias machine and each strip was cut at 5/8″ to make a nice even bias. Each strip is carefully planned in order of application because strips are layered over the top of others. It started getting very exciting as I got towards the end of this part of the process, the quilt was really starting to take shape!
Next came the quilting. I chose Cotton and Steel Precipitation in Pistachio from Rashida Coleman-Hale’s Raindrop as the backing and used a cotton/poly batting. Wrestling with this beauty on a domestic machine was a challenge (it’s 60” square) but I started free motion quilting from the centre and worked my way out. I wanted to keep the central quilting quite simplistic so I didn’t take away from the main design, so I bordered the mandala with straight echo quilting, and threw in some pebbling around the fused pieces to keep the focus on the solids.
And finally the quilt was bound in Cotton and Steel Basic Sprinkle in Stardust, creating a frame for the quilt that varied ever so slightly from the bias appliqué and the background.
And then ‘Blossom’ was finished!